Domestic Abuse

Click Here to register for housing

If you are a victim of domestic abuse, considering your housing options is a vital way of getting protection for yourself and your family and moving on with your life. Your safety is an important aspect of the choices you make. Domestic Abuse could be from a partner or family member. Domestic abuse can include acts that, while not physically violent, enable a person to exercise control and power over another. Domestic abuse can be shouting and rows, constantly being insulted or belittled, or being deprived of money. If your partner does anything that frightens or controls you, it could be domestic abuse. Remember also that violence is a criminal offence and against the law.

Domestic violence and want to stay in your own home

We can refer you to the police domestic violence unit, to report the crime and they can also help and advise you with injunctions against your partner. We can also help to refer you to local agencies that will be able to offer you advice and support.

 What is classed as abuse?

Physical attacks are the most obvious sign of domestic abuse. They do not need to leave visible marks to be damaging. Sexual abuse can include rape or forced participation in sexual acts you are uncomfortable with. Mental or emotional abusive acts attack your personality and emotional and well-being rather than your body. Mental abuse is not as obvious as physical abuse, but it can be just as harmful.

 Financial abuse is where one partner controls all of the finance, often depriving the other partner of their financial independence or security. An example of this is where one partner does not give the other enough money to meet everyone’s needs in the household.

Newcastle Housing Advice works on a culture of belief. Your concerns will be believed and everything you share with us is done in the strictest of confidence. No actions will be taken without your agreement and permission unless there is a safeguarding issue. Women and men officers are available to conduct interviews, if you have a preference, please let us know.

Nhas Factsheets

Domestic Abuse Housing Options

Domestic Abuse Women’s Refuges


Useful contacts

Helpline numbers:

Arch North Staffs domestic violence helpline 01782 205500 9am – 3pm

Arch North Staffs –

24 hour domestic violence helpline 0808 2000 247

Staffordshire Police:

  • non-urgent number 101
  • In a emergency dial 999

Child line – 0800 11 11

Broken Rainbow (LGBT) – 0845 2604 460

SAVANA sexual violence and rape support service – 01782 433205

Male victims – 01782 683702 (9- 5) or helpline Tuesday 4.30pm-6.30pm

Refuges – a safe place to stay : Elizabeth House, Newcastle – 01782 713737

Potteries Women’s Refuge – 01782 822885

Refuge – 01332 200027 (specifically for Asian women)

Websites and other useful numbers :

Karma Nirvana – 0800 5999 247
‘Honour’ based abuse and forced marriage

Hideout – a website for children and young people

Respect –

For perpetrators of abuse
National stalking helpline – 0808 802 0300 Women’s Aid –

Staying safe

You will already have your own methods of coping but there may be other things you can do to try and keep you and your family safe. Please follow the link below to Arch’s website for more information.

Staying Put

If you can’t or don’t want to leave your home and are at continued risk of abuse, the helplines can tell you about any local support groups or services. They can also advise on safety planning, eg. You could leave an emergency bag and money with a friend in case you need to flee your home suddenly.

Make your home safer

To improve your safety at home, you could:

  • Change the locks, locks on the windows, install an outside light to come on when someone approaches.
  • Contact your local council for advice as they might be able to help you.

Get the home in your name

In some situations the courts will transfer the home into your name, even if your partner is currently the sole owner or tenant. This is more likely to be agreed if you have children. A family law solicitor can advise you on this.

Call the Civil Legal Advice helpline on 0345 3454345 to find out if you qualify for legal aid.

Ask for a transfer or exchange

If you are a council or housing association tenant you can apply for a transfer or mutual exchange. Ask your landlord how to register for any schemes they offer. You should ask any one moving in to your home not to disclose where you have gone.

Find Private Rent

Private landlords usually ask for a deposit and rent in advance, as well as a reference. Shelter, local citizen advice or Homes Direct who can advise on you finding a rented home.

Further advice

You can get further advice from Shelter’s free* housing advice helpline 0800 8004444, a local shelter advice service or local Citizens Advice Office, or by visiting or

*calls are free from uk landlines and main mobile networks